Gas Odors

Gas is odorless, so a chemical is added to it. The chemical's unpleasant smell helps you to detect potentially dangerous gas leaks from faulty appliances, broken pipes or broken mains.

Here are some tips to help keep you and your family safe:

  • Keep a flashlight handy to investigate minor gas odors. Check pilot lights to make sure they are lit. Never use matches or candles, and never turn any electric switches on or off if you smell gas.
  • Always wait five minutes to let gas disperse before trying to re-light your appliance.
  • If the smell or sound of escaping gas continues or if you have any doubts, open windows and doors and get everyone out of the building. Call Sheffield Utilities or 911 from the nearest phone away from the gas odor.
  • In an emergency situation, such as a punctured gas line or even an earthquake, turn off the natural gas coming in to your home. Learn the location of your natural gas valve.
  • To keep your home safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure all of your gas appliances, including gas space heaters, are installed and serviced by a qualified person. Each year have a qualified serviceman check your appliances and heating units for safety.

Our mission is to support our community. We are committed to provide prompt, safe, clean, reliable utilities at the lowest cost possible to serve the best customers in the world.

Sheffield Utilities
300 N Nashville Ave
Sheffield, Alabama 35660

Phone: 256.389.2000

Report an Outage: 256.389.2478