What Does the Wastewater Treatment Facility Do?
Wastewater Treatment Facility
Sheffield Utilities Wastewater treatment facility is designed to remove either part or all of the following pollutants:
- Suspended solids in order to meet water quality standards applicable for sewage effluent entering the receiving stream
- Floating debris, oil, grease, scum, or biosolids (sludge)
- Color and odor to below obvious levels
- Heavy metals or other chemical compounds which adversely affect the quality of the receiving water
- Pathogenic (disease causing) organisms
- Organic matter measured as biochemical oxygen demand (BOD)
- Settled Solids
- Ammonia nitrogen
What is Wastewater?
Generally wastewater includes liquids and water borne solids received from households, industrial buildings, commercial buildings, as well as ground water filtration. The characteristics of wastewater can be classified as physical, chemical and biological.